This exhibit features a selection of items collected by the Wilson Special Collections Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill University Libraries. This page lists all pandemic related materials that have been collected by the Library. The materials are available for research. This is an ongoing area of collection development and this list may be updated over time.
Please contact Wilson Special Collection’s Library for assistance with research or other questions.
If you would like to submit something to the Carolina COVID-19 Archive, please visit this page for more information.
The North Carolina Collection Gallery has collected many artifacts related to the pandemic. An inventory of items is listed here:
- CK.1964.1 – Pinback Badge; “I took my shot”
- CK.1964.3 – Protest Sign; Protesting COVID precaution “Who does Roy work for?”
- CK.1966.1 – Face Mask; face shield clear plastic front
- CK.1967.1 A-M – Bag containing 12 PPE item
- CK.1967.2 – Sticker; “I took my shot”
- CK.1969.3 – Print; Title: They Don’t Care. Artist: Peri Law
- CK.1969.4 – Print; Title: What the Fuck. Artist: Peri Law
- CK.1970.1 – Sticker; “I took my shot”
- CK.1970.2 – Pinback Badge; “Vaccinated for COVID-19”
- CK.1970.3 – Pinback Badge; ”I got my COVID 19 Vaccine”
- CK.1970.4 – Pinback Badge; “I have been vaccinated”
- CK.1971.1 – Instructional Sign; Table-top “Wear a Mask in the Library”
- CK.1971.2 – Instructional Sign; Table-top “Wear a Mask in the Library”
- CK.1971.3 – Instructional Sign; Table-top “Wear a Mask in the Library”
- CK.1971.4 – Instructional Sign; Table-top “Wear a Mask in the Library”
- CK.1971.5 – Instructional Sign; Table-top “Wear a Mask in the Library”
- CK.1971.6 – Instructional Sign; Table-top “Wear a Mask in the Library”
- CK.1971.7 – Instructional Sign; “Davis Library Seating Map”
- CK.1971.8 – Instructional Sign; “Davis Library Seating Map”
- CK.1971.9 – Instructional Sign; “Reserve a Seat”
- CK.1971.10 – Instructional Sign; “Wear a Mask”
- CK.1971.11 – Instructional Sign; “Sanitation Station”
- CK.1971.12 – Instructional Sign; “Floors 3 through 8 are closed”
- CK.1971.13 – Instructional Sign; “Floors 3 through 5 are closed”
- CK.1971.14 – Instructional Sign; “Book Drop-off Here”
- CK.1971.15 – Instructional Sign; “Occupancy”
- CK.1971.16 – Instructional Sign; “Max Occupancy”
- CK.1971.17 – Instructional Sign; “Wrong Way”
- CK.1971.18 – Instructional Sign; “Entrance Only”
- CK.1971.19 – Instructional Sign; “Exit Only”
- CK.1971.20 – Key Ring; Be-Safe Key with finger loop
- CK.1971.21 – Face Mask; Easy Masks
- CK.1971.22 – Face Mask; Easy Masks
- CK.1971.23 – COVID Kit; Kit of PPE
- CK.1971.24 – COVID Kit; Kit of PPE
- CK.1971.25 – Handbill; “Thank you for keeping Carolina safe”
- CK.1971.26 – Instructional Sign; floor sign “Remain 6 feet apart”
- CK.1971.27 – Instructional Sign; table-top sign “Wear a mask”
- CK.1977.1 – Face Mask; “CULP”
- CK.1977.2 – Face Mask; “CULP”
- CK.1978.1 – Face Mask; Handmade
- CK.1986.1 – Instructional Sign; Sidewalk sign “Wait 6 feet apart”
- CK.1987.1 – Sign; Cutout of Elaine Westbrooks for sporting event
- CK.1991.1 – Sticker; Duke Health “I received my COVID-19 Vaccine”
- CK.1991.2 – Sticker; Duke Health “I received my COVID-19 Vaccine”
- CK.1992.1 – Sticker; @wakegove “I received my vaccine COVID-19”
- CK.2000.1 – Pinback Button; “Vax UNC Now”
- CK.2001.1 – Pinback Button; “Vax UNC Now”
- CK.2001.2 – Sticker; “I’m Vaccinated! Carolina Student”
- CK.2007.1 – Screen Print Poster by Robby Poore; “Are you okay?”
- CK.2007.2 – Screen Print Poster by Robby Poore; girl with umbrella
- CK.2007.3 – Screen Print Poster by Robby Poore; “Interrupt Transmission Cycle”
- CK.2007.4 – Screen Print Poster by Robby Poore; “Isolation”
- CK.2007.5 – Screen Print Poster by Robby Poore; “Are you okay?”
- CK.2007.6 – Screen Print Poster by Robby Poore; Neon Pink with person coughing
- CK.2007.7 – Screen Print Poster by Robby Poore; “We will get through this”
- CK.2007.8 – Coloring Book by Robby Poore; “We will get through this”
- CK.2009.1 – Instructional Sign; “Do Not Sit Here”
Bob Goldstein Prints collection
- The posters featured in this exhibit are available in this collection.
Carolina COVID-19 Archive
- This collection includes materials produced by members of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and surrounding communities following open calls for submissions to the Carolina COVID-19 Archive. You can learn how to submit to the Archive here.
- The collection also includes podcasts, interview projects, and university websites. Websites in the archive are organized into the following groups: Experiences and Virtual Events; News; Student and Worker Statements; UNC Covid-19 Information Portals; UNC Health Care and Campus Health; University Administration; University Departments; University Athletics. These web archive materials currently focus on UNC at Chapel Hill related content.
- The entire collection can be accessed from the finding aid.
Class of 2020 delayed commencement program
- Commencement for the class of 2020 was held in October 2021. An archived version of the online commencement program is available here.
Joey The Kangaroo and Her Coping with COVID Plan coloring book
- Access the coloring book PDF here.
Mask Up OCNC (#MaskUpOCNC) posters
- Online access to digital versions of the posters available here.
- Request access to the print versions here.
North Carolina Collection website archives
- NC Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 Dashboard
- NC Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 Case Count
- North Carolina Health News
- The Corona Times produced by the Mitchell County Historical Society
- Enlace Latino coronavirus coverage and podcast series “Latinos en la Pandemia” may be available in web archive in captures from 2020 and 2021. Access to the coronavirus coverage is here and the podcast is here.
- The Beautiful Project #HerTestimony Project can be access here and here.
Triad coloring book produced by Yes! Weekly
- Request access to this coloring book here.
UNC Story Archive
- Four interviewees discussed COVID-19 in their submissions to the UNC Story Archive. Access the interviews here.
UNC Student Government Records
- A joint statement from UNC at Chapel Hill Student Body President Reeves Mosley and Graduate and Professional Student Federation president Ryan Collins about the unfolding COVID-19 pandemic conditions and impacts on students. The statement was released in April 2020 and can be accessed here.
University Ephemera 2021
- These found materials from around the UNC at Chapel Hill campus included some COVID-19 related information. Access information about the collection here.
University news websites
Some university news sources are archived regularly and contain some COVID-19 related stories: