Sketch of the First President's House by Hope Summerell Chamberlain in 1926.
This sketch of the first president's house by Hope Summerell Chamberlain was done in 1926. At the time, it was occupied by Prof. Mitchell and had become known as Mitchell House. It was however completed in 1795 for the first President, located where Swain Hall now stands. Presidents Ker, Gillaspie, and Caldwell each lived in it. In 1809 Caldwell married Helen Hooper and moved to her house on the southeast corner of Franklin and Hillsborough streets. Afterward the first President's House became a faculty residence. Professor Elisha Mitchell and his family lived in it for many years. Hope Summerell Chamberlain was Professor Mitchell's great-granddaughter. The house was demolished in 1913.
Hope Summerell Chamberlain.
North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
This item has no relations.