It has been over 100 years since women first entered Carolina. In the history of women on this campus there were many allies, for as many opponents like Hamilton, there were as many Aldermans, Odums, Cells, and Lanes.
In 1979, women outnumbered men in UNC’s undergraduate first year class for the first time. Now, women make up over half of the student body. The efforts of countless women in those hundred years have helped advance the rights of everyone.
To learn more about women at Carolina, visit:
- Carolina Women’s Center: http://womenscenter.unc.edu
- Department of Women and Gender Studies: http://womensstudies.unc.edu
- Association for Women Faculty & Professionals: http://awfp.web.unc.edu
- Center for Women’s Health Research at UNC: http://www.med.unc.edu/cwhr
- Southern Oral History Program: http://sohp.org/